I always say to my customers that it is not a good idea to snack in the evening because our body metabolism is slowing down and will most likely turn any food into fat.
BUT… there is a way to go around it and have a snack in the evening. There are few factors that are very important if you want to snack after 7pm.
it is very important what you snack with. In fact, there are certain foods that you can eat as a late-night snack that can actually INCREASE your fat loss results! The key is knowing which foods to eat, and which to avoid, as the evening progresses.
Here’s a golden rule: Avoid carbs before bed in favor of slow-digesting high-quality protein.
this apply to fruits as well as they are full in sugar! and sugar make us FAT!
Carbohydrate consumption causes significant rise in the storage hormone insulin, which also puts the breaks on fat-burning and increase fat storage. That’s a recipe for disaster in the late evening hours as your metabolism is slowing down, but fortunately, slow-digesting protein isn’t.
Instead, slow digesting proteins provide your body with a steady flow of amino acids throughout the night to help you recover from exercise and maintain your calorie-burning lean muscle as you lose fat.
Here are some of my top pre-bedtime choices:
1. White Meat Animal Protein (not red meat or fish) – White meat protein sources such as chicken and turkey are great pre-bed meal choices because they digest slowly and have a very low insulin release. These sources also promote the release of another hormone, glucagon, that assists the body with breaking down stored carbs and fat within your body to be burned for energy…a double win! Red meat and fish have a significantly higher insulin response so they’re best to avoid in the evening.
2. Cottage Cheese – Cottage cheese is very slow digesting and coats the stomach to be assimilated by the body over many hours. As a protein, it also stimulates glucagon release; a solid pre-bedtime choice. Just make sure you’re using plain cottage cheese, not the flavored varieties with added sugars.
3. Green Vegetables – While these aren’t considered a protein, they contain virtually no calories, are high in fiber, and they’re very filling. Often times when I get a late night craving I eat a big bowl of green veggies and it completely kills my craving…a diet savior!
4. A Slow-digesting, Low-carb Protein Shake – I use a slow-digesting protein shake before bed literally every day. It’s become somewhat of a ritual and great, tasty way to end my day. The vast majority of my clients have grown to love the habit as well…who doesn’t love dessert before bed? 🙂 I normally blend the shake with almond butter or walnuts to get some healthy fats and it does taste good with Body by Vi protein! to get more information about BodybyVi protein shakes go to: http://www.vi.co.uk/challenge-portal/body-by-vi-overview, for order follow http://www.ptwithb.bodybyvi.com
Now, before I go, I also want to show you my great carb-fighting trick that you can use each and every time you eat carbs. This simple carb-fighting “ritual” is clinically proven to:
*Lower your blood sugar
*Increase insulin sensitivity
*Decrease fat storage
*Increase fat burning
*Insulin resistance to sugar level = high blood sugar level = diabetes, fat
*High Insulin sensitivity = glycogen to muscles = fat loss.
Fighting blood sugar levels by regulating hormones:
4 tips to Increase insulin sensitivity:
1. high intensity, strength training workouts
2. 6-8 reps with heavy load – increase insulin sensitivity
3. Cinnamon! – 6g/day! (I add cinnamon to my Vi Shakes and coffee)
4. Green Tea
Body Transformation Expert, Healthy Diet Lover